Promoting an active campus through engagement, leadership and recreation
Rental Center Policy
- Renters must be 18 years or older.
- Rental equipment reservations, pick-ups, and returns can only be done during Rental Center business hours or by a scheduled appointment.
- Reservations are on a first come, first served basis.
- Renters are required to provide a credit card number at the time of reservation and rental. Payment of the total rental fee is required at the time of pick-up. By providing credit card information and reserving and/or taking the equipment, renters authorize the University to charge any fees, and other amounts due from the reservation and/or rental of the equipment.
- University departments, organizations, or student groups may use their internal accountingnumbers to reserve and rent equipment. In addition to providing a Shortcode, U of M departments, organizations, or student groups must also provide a credit card number to complete a reservation or rental contract. U of M Purchasing Cards may not be used.
- Renters will not incur a cancellation fee if they cancel their reservations at least 2 business days in advance of the reserved rental date. Renters will be charged half of the total cost of their rental if they cancel their reservation less than one business day of the reserved rental date. Renters will be charged for the total cost for reservations cancelled with less than a days notice or failure to pick-up reserved equipment. Cancellations must be made by telephone or in person during Rental Center business hours. Renters cannot cancel a reservation by leaving phone message.
- If for some reason the Rental Center cannot provide equipment reserved by the renter, the renter will receive a coupon for an equal valued rental at a future date. The University shall have no further liability for failure to provide equipment on the reserved date.
- Refunds will be issued only to the person reserving the equipment. There are no cash refunds. Refund checks take 8-10 weeks to process.
- Reserved equipment not picked up on the reserved rental date will be checked out on a first come, first serve basis on the following day. There will be a full rental charge for reserved equipment not picked up on the reserved rental date.
- No rain checks will be issued.
- Renters must sign a Rental Center Contract prior to checking out the equipment. All other arrangements must be approved by the Rental Center Manager.
- 12. Renters must present a driver's license, picture ID, or Recreational Sports User's pass when checking out equipment.
- Renters must test all equipment before leaving to ensure everything is in working order. It is the renter’s responsibility to check all equipment for damage or missing parts prior to leaving the Rental Center.
- Renters must properly clean, dry, and pack the equipment prior to its return. If returned equipment is not clean, dry, and properly packed a $10.00 cleaning fee for a single item rental and a $25.00 cleaning fee for multiple items will be charged to clean, dry, and pack the equipment.
- If renters do not return the equipment during business hours on the scheduled return date or on the pre-arranged appointment date, they will be charged the daily rental fee for each item rented each day late until the equipment is returned. In addition, renters will be charged the weekend fee if the equipment is not returned over a weekend.
- Renters will pay to replace, at the Director’s discretion, equipment or similar equipment at its current retail value (a) if the equipment is not returned to the Rental Center during business hours and it is damaged, lost, or stolen; (b) the equipment is damaged, lost, or stolen while in the renter's possession; (c) the equipment is returned to the Rental Center during nonbusiness hours and is damaged, lost, or stolen.
- Lost or stolen Blue Bikes will be paid at a depreciated value. The bikes depreciate at a rate of 10% per year.
- The University reserves the right to inspect the equipment up to 3 business days after its return and to charge the renter's credit card for any improper cleaning, drying, packing, or missing parts or damage found at that time. Notice of the charges will be conveyed to the renter via telephone and a receipt will be provided upon request.
- The University reserves the right to refuse to rent equipment to renters in the future if they abuse equipment or violate the terms of these policies or the rental contract.
- The University reserves the right to place a hold on student accounts and/or University records of any student who fails to pay any fees or other amounts due under a Rental Center Contract or these policies.